We are currently in the process of restructuring the Professional Nursing Program. Please contact the RCHC Admissions Office at (757) 240-2200 for the most up-to-date information. Thank you for your patience!
A registered nurse (RN) uses compassion, care, and intelligence to provide care for patients of all ages. Registered nurses function in a variety of roles including caregiver, educator, manager, and patient advocate. They work to promote health and prevent disease. When illness occurs, the registered nurse assists patients and families by providing physical care, emotional support, and education. The registered nurse performs assessments, documents care, assists with diagnostic tests, administers treatments and medications, monitors advanced technology and equipment, and participates in patient follow-up and rehabilitation. Registered nurses are vital members of the healthcare team.
The Admission Requirements below are for currently enrolled students.
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a recommended overall grade point average of 2.0 or better; or a GED certificate.
- Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology with Lab, English Composition, and College Math requirements must be completed before an application can be submitted; all prerequisites must be completed prior to beginning the program.
- Satisfactory score on the preadmission entrance test.
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program.
- Two satisfactory Professional or Academic Reference Forms. Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper) or 79 (Internet-based)
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens by birth must provide immigration or citizenship documentation.
- Copy of current state license if you are an LPN.
- Satisfactory interview (for applicants meeting above requirements).
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside College of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
Prerequisites (All courses must be completed with grades of "C" or above)
High School or College Chemistry **
Required College Courses
- Anatomy & Physiology with Lab: 5-8 credits **
- English Composition: 3 credits **
- College Math (100-level or higher): 3 credits **
- Microbiology with Lab: 4 credits
- General or Introductory Psychology: 3 credits
- Developmental Psychology: 3 credits
- General or Introductory Sociology: 3 credits
- Medical Terminology: 2-3 credits
**Must be completed prior to application submission.
All prerequisites must be completed before beginning the program.
How to apply
Download, complete, and submit the following application package:
(In order to view these files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available for free from the Adobe website)
LPN to RN Fast-Track Articulation Program
This program allows the LPN* to advance quickly through the Professional Nursing Program by entering as a level four student. Students must be licensed to practice in a licensure compact state, apply, and be accepted before beginning the LPN to RN Articulation Program. *Applicants to the LPN to RN Articulation Program must have worked as an LPN for at least one year since being licensed, with no more than five years since last work experience. All Professional Nursing Program prerequisites and admission requirements apply.
Concurrent Enrollment BSN Program (offered by Old Dominion University)
The Professional Nursing Program is:
- Approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
Institutional Certification: Certified by the State Council of Higher Education (SCHEV) to operate in Virginia.
Institutional Accreditation: ABHES Accredited
The information contained in this website is informational only, and not intended to be contractual in nature. We reserve the right to change or alter any statements herein without prior notice.