Licensed practical nurses (LPN) use intelligence, care, and compassion to provide direct therapeutic patient care. They serve in a variety of roles and work under the supervision of physicians and registered nurses. The LPN's competence implies knowledge, understanding and skills that transcend specific tasks and is guided by a commitment to the public and to the high standards of the nursing profession. As an integral part of the healthcare team, the licensed practical nurse performs functions such as, but not limited to, bedside care, taking vital signs, administering and monitoring medications, inserting catheters, providing wound care and dressing changes, implementing care plans, and providing patient and family education to promote health. The LPN supervises nurses' aides and unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a required overall grade point average of 2.0 or better; or a GED certificate.
- Satisfactory score on the preadmission entrance test.
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program.
- Two satisfactory Professional or Academic Reference Forms. Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper) or 79 (Internet-based)
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens by birth must provide immigration or citizenship documentation.
- Satisfactory interview (for applicants meeting above requirements).
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside College of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
How to apply
Download, complete, and submit the following application packet:
(In order to view these files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available for free from the Adobe website)
The Practical Nursing Program is:
- Approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
Institutional Certification: Certified by the State Council of Higher Education (SCHEV) to operate in Virginia.
Institutional Accreditation: ABHES Accredited
The information contained in this website is informational only, and not intended to be contractual in nature. We reserve the right to change or alter any statements herein without prior notice.