Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree
A Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) is an essential partner in the treatment of patients with movement difficulties related to injuries or disease as well as preventative wellness programs. Under the direction of a licensed Physical Therapist, the PTA may provide therapies with the goal of improving mobility, relieving pain, and/or preventing further injury. Physical Therapist Assistants enjoy the ability to work in a variety of practice settings including: hospitals, private practices, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, schools and out-patient settings.
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a recommended overall grade point average of 2.0 or better; or a GED certificate.
- Anatomy & Physiology with Lab, English Composition, and College Math requirements must be completed before an application can be submitted; all prerequisites must be completed prior to beginning the program.
- Satisfactory score on the preadmission entrance test.
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program.
- Two satisfactory Professional or Academic Reference Forms. Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper) or 79 (Internet-based).
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens by birth must provide immigration or citizenship documentation.
- Satisfactory interview (for applicants meeting above requirements).
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside School of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
Prerequisites (all courses must be completed with grades of "C" or above)
- Anatomy and Physiology with Lab - 4 credits **
- English Composition - 3 credits **
- College Math (100-level or higher) - 3 credits **
- General, Introductory, or Developmental Psychology - 3 credits
- Medical Terminology - 2 credits
**Must be completed prior to application submission.
All prerequisites must be completed prior to beginning the program.
How to apply
Download, complete, and submit the following application package:
(In order to view these files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available for free from the
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program is:
accredited by the
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: (703) 706-3245; email:
Certified by the State Council of Higher Education (SCHEV) to operate in Virginia.
CAPTE Required Consumer Information
PTA Acceptance & Matriculation Rates
Clinical Affiliation Sites
The information contained in this website is informational only, and not intended to be contractual in nature. We reserve the right to change or alter any statements herein without prior notice.