Medical Assistants (MA) are multi-skilled health professionals specifically educated to work as a member of a health care team, performing a broad range of clinical and administrative tasks under the supervision of a physician and advanced practice providers. This profession is the only allied health professional specifically trained to work in ambulatory health settings. The Medical Assistant performs delegated clinical and administrative duties within the supervising provider's scope of practice that is consistent with medical assisting education, training and experience. The Medical Assistant is also a liaison between the doctor and the patient, which makes them a valuable part of the medical practice.
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a required overall grade point average of 2.0 or better; or a GED certificate.
- Satisfactory score on the preadmission entrance test.
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program.
- Two satisfactory Professional or Academic Reference Forms. Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper) or 79 (Internet-based).
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens by birth must provide immigration or citizenship documentation.
- Satisfactory interview (for applicants meeting above requirements).
- Documentation of previous healthcare experience (including volunteer hours) is recommended.
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside College of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
How to apply
Download, complete, and submit the following application package:
(In order to view these files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available for free from the Adobe website)
- Program Information - Start Dates
- Application for Admission
- Admissions Procedure Checklist
- Essential Program Requirements
- Preadmission Testing Information
- Reference Form (2 required)
The Medical Assistant Program is:
Institutional Certification: Certified by the State Council of Higher Education (SCHEV) to operate in Virginia.
Institutional Accreditation: ABHES Accredited