Anterior hip replacement is used to treat advanced arthritis of the hip that causes hip pain, stiffness and limited motion. This method differs from traditional hip replacements by allowing the surgeon to access the hip joint without the need of cutting important muscles.
There are many benefits of anterior hip replacement including:
- The most minimally invasive hip replacement option
- No cutting of the muscles
- No limping
- Utilizes a smaller incision
- Less pain
- Faster recovery
- Shorter hospital stay (more than 50% of patients go home less than 24 hours after surgery)
- No movement restrictions
- Lower dislocation rate
- Exact restoration of leg length and offset
- If needed, changes can be made while patient is still in operating room
Who is a candidate for anterior hip replacement?
Most patients are a good candidate, for a well trained surgeon.