Riverside is the only Virginia Peninsula hospital offering patients the sophisticated da Vinci Surgical System®. Robotic-assisted surgery is more precise and less invasive than traditional surgery reducing the risk of complications and shortening recovery time. Dr. Rento and Dr. Burgess of Riverside Urology Specialists have performed thousands of da Vinci® surgeries.
Some of the most commonly performed da Vinci® procedures at Riverside include:
- Pyeloplasty (removes blockage in the urinary system)
- Partial nephrectomy (removes only diseased portion of kidney)
- Radical prostatectomy (prostate surgery)
- Partial ureterectomy (removes only diseased portion of the ureter)
- Pelvic lymph node dissection (for detection of lymph node metastases)
- Ureteral reimplantation (correction of tubes connecting the bladder to the kidneys)
- Ureterolithotomy (laproscopic removal of a stone from the ureter)
- Adrenalectomy (removes adrenal gland(s))
- Sacral colpopexy (correction of the prolapse of the vagina)
Contact our Peninsula offices for an appointment or second opinion.
Newport News (757) 873-1374
Williamsburg (757) 253-0051
da Vinci® Surgeons at Riverside Urology Specialists
Scott Burgess, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. Burgess has performed more than a thousand da Vinci® surgeries and pioneered the use of robotic-assisted surgery in the region. As one of the most experienced da Vinci® surgeons in the country, he teaches other surgeons robotic-assisted procedures.
Dr Burgess completed his Fellowship training in Robotic Surgery at Tulane University and has published articles and presented extensively on robotic surgery.
Richard Rento II, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. Rento has performed hundreds of da Vinci® robotic-assisted surgeries at Riverside. He is Medical Director of Urologic Oncology at the Riverside Cancer Center with a particular interest in kidney, bladder and prostate cancer treatments including robotic surgery and brachytherapy. His practice also focuses on the treatment of female urological conditions and diseases.
Consult with a Riverside urologist about whether robotic surgery is right for your situation. Call us at (757) 873-1374.
Read more about da Vinci® robotic-assisted surgery.