Sunburn treatment: Do I need medical attention?

content provided by

Sunburn treatment: Do I need medical attention?


When might sunburn require medical attention?

No name
No state given


Consult a doctor for sunburn treatment if:

  • The sunburn is severe — with blisters — and covers a large portion of your body
  • The sunburn is accompanied by a high fever or severe pain
  • You've developed a skin infection from scratching your sunburned skin
  • You have a severe sunburn that doesn't begin to improve within a few days

Your doctor might suggest a corticosteroid cream for your sunburn, or a short course of prednisone for severe cases involving large areas of your body. Rarely, people who have severe sunburn may need intravenous fluids to combat dehydration.

In most cases, sunburn can be treated at home with:

  • Cool compresses
  • Over-the-counter pain medications, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB)
  • Antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
  • Aloe vera gel or lotion
  • Hydration — drinking plenty of fluids
Last Updated: 2013-03-01
© 1998-2016 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "," "Mayo Clinic Health Information," "Reliable information for a healthier life" and the triple-shield Mayo logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.

Terms and conditions of use


Bookmark and Share   E-Mail Page   Printer Friendly Version