Aflac Voluntary Benefits
Riverside Welcomes Aflac!
Based on employee feedback and Total Rewards' analysis of our core benefit structure, the Aflac products are intended to meet the needs of team members and to help fill "gaps" team members may experience in the current benefit coverage. Aflac plans pay cash benefits to you.
New 2013 Aflac Plans
- Group Short Term Disability (STD) – helps protect your income in the event you are unable to work. Certain restrictions apply on coordination of benefits.
- Group Critical Illness – helps pay expenses that arise from the diagnosis of critical illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, renal failure, major transplants or occupational HIV.
- Group Accident – helps pays for out-of-pocket costs that arise from common accidents such as fractures, dislocations, and lacerations. 24-hour coverage.
Aflac will offer "guaranteed issue" coverage for Short Term Disability (STD) and Critical Illness up to a specified amount during this Open Enrollment only. This means that all eligible full time, part time, and pay partial team members will be eligible for coverage without answering health questions. If you elect coverage in excess of the guarantedd issue amount ($2,500/month STD limit or $35,000 Critical Illness for employee limit), your excess amount will be subject to underwriting approval. Accident insurance is offered at guaranteed issue during this Open Enrollment only - no underwriting is required to qualify for coverage.
You will automatically be directed to the Aflac enrollment site during the Benefit Open Enrollment process via Lawson Employee Self Service (ESS).
If you have questions during this year's Open Enrollment period, contact Aflac customer service at 1-800-433-3036. Aflac representatives will be available to take your call Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST. You have the option to leave a voice mail message, and, if you do, calls will be returned within 24 hours or the next business day.
Who Can Participate?
- Eligible Employees: Regular full time and part time employees working 15 or more hours per week. An employee is eligible the first of the month following date of hire.
- Employees (and their spouses) between the ages of 18 and 69. Children to age 26 (if full-time student).
Who Should Participate?
- STD: Employees without enough accrued time to fill the waiting period and elimination period or who are not eligible for the core STD plan should consider participation. Employees must use all accrued EIB, Sick Leave, PTO, Vacation and/or Holiday balances before STD benefits will be payable in the event of injury or illness.
- Critical Illness: Employees concerned about the added costs of a critical illness should consider participation.
- Accident: Employees concerned about the upfront expenses related to common accidents.
Group Disability Highlights
- Guaranteed Issue (GI) amount during Open Enrollment - $2,500/month
- 60% of Salary to $5,000/month
- Non Occupational Coverage
- 3 month benefit duration
- 14 day Accident/14 day Sickness elimination period - Greater of 14-day elimination period or the end of accumulated Extended Illness Bank (EIB), Paid Time Off (PTO), Sick Leave, Vacation, or Holiday balances.
Critical Illness Highlights
Guaranteed Issue (GI) during initial Open Enrollment
- $30,000 GI for Employee
- $15,000 GI for Spouse
- $7,500 GI for Each Dependent
**Coverage up to $50,000 is available and modified GI Rules apply for amounts between $30,000 and $50,000**
Occupational HIV Rider
- Lump-Sum benefits paid directly
- Annual Health Screening Benefits Included ($50)
- Reload Feature every 12 months
- No reduction of benefit at age 70
Group Accident Highlights
- Guaranteed Issue
- Medical Fees: $125 for employee and spouse, $75 for child
- Hospital Admission: $1,000
- Hospital Confinement: $200 per day (up to 365 days)
- Hospital Intensive Care: $400 additional to confinement benefit, up to 30 days per accident
- Paralysis: Quadriplegia $10,000/Paraplegia $5,000
- Annual Wellness Screening Benefit ($60)
- No reduction of benefit at age 70
Team Member Case Study Example
Assume Employee Salary at $50,000 and that employee meets eligibility and enrollment criteria for products chosen below.
- Jane Q, 42 Years old/Single
- Accident Plan: $11.28 per pay
- Critical Illness, guaranteed Issue amount ($30,000): $26.98 per pay
- Short Term Disability, guaranteed issue amount ($2,500 per month): $27 per pay
(800) 433-3036 (during Open Enrollment)
(757) 229-8300 (fax)
Riverside Total Rewards/Benefit Services
12420 Warwick Boulevard
Building 6, Suite 6B
Newport News, VA 23606