What Aflac insurance plans are offered?
Aflac offers three types of insurance:
- Accident – pays you a lump sum if you experience certain accidents such as a cut requiring stitches or a fracture
- Critical Illness – pays you a lump sum if you are diagnosed with specific illnesses including a heart attack, stroke, or occupational HIV
- Short Term Disability – pays a portion of your monthly income (up to 60%) if you are unable to work due to a disability; certain restrictions apply to coordinate with your Riverside leave plan
Who can participate in Aflac insurance?
Eligible employees are regular full time, part time, and pay partial working 15 or more hours per week; eligible employees (and their spouses) between the ages of 18 and 69; children to age 26 (if full time student). Short Term Disability is limited to employees.
What does guaranteed issue mean?
When you are first eligible, certain benefit amounts are guaranteed. You do not have to answer health questions to receive this benefit. If you apply for amounts greater than the guaranteed issue amount, you will have to answer health questions and you may be denied coverage for amounts greater than the guaranteed issue amount
What is the guaranteed issue amount for Short Term Disability?
Guaranteed issue (team members hired since last year's open enrollment) for Disability is 60% of your monthly base salary up to $2,500. If your annual base salary is less than $50,000, 60% of your monthly base salary will be less than $2,500.
What are the Guaranteed Issue amounts for Critical Illness?
Guaranteed issue amounts are:
- $30,000/employee and $15,000/spouse for team members hired since last year's Open Enrollment
- $5,000/employee and spouse for current participants (up to $50,000 and $25,000 respective benefit maximums)
- $15,000/employee and $7,500/spouse for all other eligible team members
Can I enroll for benefit amounts greater than the Guaranteed Issue amounts?
You may apply for amounts greater than guaranteed issue amounts, however, you may be denied coverage for the amounts over guaranteed issue amounts depending on how you answer health questions.
How does Aflac Short Term Disability work with Riverside benefits?
Aflac Short Term Disability will begin to pay after you have been unable to work for 14 continuous days or after you have exhausted your Riverside PTO and EIB leave. Aflac will pay for up to 90 days that you are continuously unable to work. Company paid Short Term Disability (eligibility varies by facility) pays after you are unable to work for 90 days. Company paid Short Term Disability will be reduced by the amount of any Aflac disability payment. Please check your leave balances. If you are a long-term employee with a large leave bank, you might not benefit from additional Short Term Disability through Aflac.
How does Aflac Short Term Disability cover pre-existing conditions?
Aflac Short Term Disability will pay 50 percent of your monthly benefit for up to six weeks if you are disabled during the first 12 months of coverage due to a condition you may already have.
Is pregnancy considered a pre-existing condition?
Pregnancy will be treated as a pre-existing condition if conception occurs before the policy effective date.