Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital’s Cancer Program Receives Outstanding Achievement AwardHospital is among only 74 programs in the nation to receive this honor in 2013
The Outstanding Achievement Award recognizes cancer programs that achieve excellence in providing highest quality care to cancer patients.
"This is important to our community and patients because it recognizes the high quality of services offered close to home," Dr. Susan McAndrews, Administrator at
When surveyed by the Commission on Cancer in the fall of 2013, the
Early in 2014, programs that received Gold Standard Commendation in all seven standards were then considered for the Commission's Outstanding Achievement Award, which recognizes programs that have exceeded expectations in the seven areas.
For patients faced with a cancer diagnosis, choosing a Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award facility assures them they will receive:
- Comprehensive care, including a complete range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
- A multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best available treatment options
- Information about ongoing cancer clinical trials and new treatment options
- Access to prevention and early detection programs, cancer education and support services
- A cancer registry that offers lifelong patient follow-up
- Ongoing monitoring and improvements in cancer care
- Quality care, close to home
"Earning accreditation means meeting some pretty rigorous standards, and receiving the Outstanding Achievement Award means we go above and beyond," said McAndrews. "Our cancer services demonstrate programmatic and clinical excellence along with impressive patient outcomes.
"It's never easy to hear, 'You have cancer.' We never lose sight of that. Here at
A full complement of cancer services are available at the Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital and Riverside Shore Cancer Center, including chemotherapy and infusion services, medical oncology (including cancer and hematology clinic), radiation therapy, nutrition counseling, support services and information library with Internet access.
Learn more about the
Published: May 28, 2014